BPT (Bachelor of Physiotherapy)
What is it?
Physiotherapy is a science that helps improve movement dysfunction, and promote functions of the human body and optimal health. This involves assessment, diagnosis and treatment of disease and disability through physical means.Physiotherapists help patients rehabilitate from a state of incapacity due to genetic defect or the result of an accident or illness. Hence, you must have thorough knowledge of the human anatomy and the intricacies of bones, muscles and nerves.
BPT (Bachelor of Physiotherapy) is an undergraduate degree program in Physiotherapy and now a days, hospitals prefer BPT graduates over diploma holders.
- 10+2 in Science with Biology as a subject and at least 50% of marks in each subject.
- The minimum age required for candidates is usually 17 years.
- You must take the Common Entrance Test.
The apex body for Physiotherapy education in India is Indian Association of Physiotherapists (IAP) & ensure the college where you are securing admission should be IAP recognized.
Like other sub fields of Medical science, opportunity for Physiotherapists are also the bountiful one. Jobs are available in India as well as abroad.
- Physiotherapists are required in each department of a hospital, be it ICU or geriatrics
- They can also choose to work independently or be part of a multidisciplinary team.
- One can also work as a physiotherapy consultant
- They can also choose to enter into the teaching field
Remuneration of physiotherapist, generally, freshers may expect 5,000 INR to 15,000 INR & with the experience, the same can be expected go upto 40,000 INR in private hospitals.
In a government hospital like AIIMS, you begin as a Junior Physiotherapist and earn approximately Rs. 30,000 per month. The progression in designations is Physiotherapist followed by Senior Physiotherapist earning about Rs. 45,000 per month, followed by Superintendent earning about Rs.60,000-70,000 per month and then Chief Physiotherapist earning about Rs.80,000 per month.